Saturday, April 26, 2008

Small hail and shelf cloud, Olathe , KS


It's been 3 in a row of at least slight threatening weather for someplace in Kansas or nearby. Since I teach, I can't run off and have to hope things will wait until later. But the weather is cooperates or not.
On Wed 4/23/2008, school ended and I heard the heavy rain. I went to a window and saw it was hailing. The first hailstones I could see of the 2008 Spring!
I ran out to my car, got my Canon camera and started shooting and examining hail size. Most were very small pea sized but a few were a little bigger. (Later I heard there was bigger sized ones in Independence , MO). The hail pretty much melted away in 10 minutes.
Riding around Olathe and then Overland Park,KS I could see the tops of a shelf cloud (that could be seen by other chasers near Ottawa further west) . But things were pretty much over. Since the weather was not that threatening anymore and subsiding I just went to workout.
Here are some hail shots.


No comments: