Saturday, April 28, 2007

४/२७/२००७ unexpected mini-chase



४/२७/२००७ "can't be- can it?"
unexpected mini-चेस
Well this was a क्रेज्य
endedin Paola, KS। There was rain, a couple of thunder claps but nothing out of the ordinary. Weather kept changing between sunny and light rain. As I headed south to Olathe weather was partly cloudy. I stopped at 135th and Blackbob at the supermarket to get some food and then headed home. Normal chatter on the Oreilly show and then the talk show on KMBZ but nothing else. At home, I began charging my pda. As I opended the back glass door, I thought what I heard was warning sirens but they were not loud. I though "can't be- can it?". Quickly turned on KMBC TV and lo and behold there were alerts for Miami County near Paola where I just came from . It seemed that the radio stations were trying to catch up for the "ball they had dropped." Also storm cells dropping hail and possible funnel to the south

I got in my car as my wife came in her car and said her friend had a lot of hail north of us. I headed down 151st towards I-35. The radio said there was a possible dangerous cell near Garnder- Edgerton off of I-35 but there were also a funnel and heavy hail off of 119th street as well as a funnel near Ottawa. Reports of wall clouds too. This is amazing. There was nothing on the radio a few minutes before.
I headed North towards 119th street after changing my mind andturning around to go south not to check out the storm cell. By the time I got there I did not see anything significant. But there was beautiful raindow arching from the south over the stores. I stopped and took some rainbowpictures .
There was a possibler dangerous cell heading into Missouri from South of Miami county in Kansas. A reported funnel or rotation. I decided to head south and then got off to go home. No way I could catch the storm. However I could see that stormcell with its gleaming cumulus clouds to the SW. I noticed the moon above the cell which would make a nice picture. I snapped a few and the results are below.
This was an unexpected mini-chase close to home. Did not hear anything more about these storms in the newspaper (we were out later that night so I could not check the news).

No comments: